Market overview – The FTSE World index climbed again in September with a rise of 1.2% in sterling terms.
- UK – Consumer confidence has held up and this is reflected in good retail sales.
- Europe – More recent news has been dominated by the travails of Deutsche Bank.
- US – At the turn of the year, Investors expected four small rate rises by the end of 2016.
- Japan – The strength of the yen this year has not helped by reducing import prices and company profits.
- Emerging Markets – The Emerging Markets asset class has been the best performer, year to date.
The Commentary also contains the CAERUS Sentiment Indicator, which provides a very clear ‘dashboard’ of dials showing current sentiment towards the leading asset classes.